Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sugar Rush

So with Noah feeling under the weather, and having come off of a couple of good behavoir weeks, I was really stymied by his 2 + hour rage last night.  He hadn't eaten much dinner, he had taken a looooooong nap in the afternoon - and he seemed in pretty good spirits.  I let him have an hour on the Wii so I could have a couple of uninterupted phone calls with family members to catch them up on the latest doctor appointment results.

BIG MISTAKE!!!  Here's what I found out this morning.

So, I was having some quiet reading time - trying to wake fully up after being up so late with him last night; so after taking care of his pull-up and eating a yogurt he asked if he could watch a DVD, and I said yes.  So he went to the basement (presumably to choose a DVD) and took a box of Girl Scout Cookies out of the freezer and took them up to his room, closed the door, and proceeded to eat and watch a cartoon.
About 5 minutes later I went to check on him and talk about the day - and that's what I walked in on.  Now previously I had noticed that there was one cookie in a gallon size bag that should have had about 2 dozen in the freezer... odd - but we had had houseguests so I didn't really give it much thought.  I obviously confiscated the cookies and brought him back downtstairs.  That's when he told me he ate a box of my thinmints last night.  I asked him to show me where they were - and he said he ate them all.  He had actually taken the empty box into the storage area and hidden it in a wall behind the file cabinet in the corner.

Yep.  He may be cognitively impaired, and learning delayed - but the kid has got killer problem solving skills when properly motivated.

Needless to say I was LIVID!  And very, very disappointed in him.  However, that explains the rage from the night before that appeared to have come from nowhere.  You see, that's what happens when Noah has more than 20 grams of sugar at any one time.  His body just can't handle it and he turns into a monster - literally.  He's aggressive and mean and hateful and says the most horrible things.

So... what to do, what to do...I went to my favorite handwriting worksheet generation site and printed off "I will not sneak sweets", "I will not tell lies", and because he was sassing the whole time I added "I will not sass my mom" to his pile of worksheets.  So he's going to be writing - which is a very difficult task for him, he really has to concentrate on it.  5 sheets of each at a time, for I don't know how long.

Emailed the hubster the fabulous start of our day - also informed him that we need to install a lock on the storage room door.  Also, kid is not allowed in the basement unsupervised for I don't know how long.  Unfortunately for him - the basement is the fun zone in our home.  It's where we keep the Wii, his sensory outlet, game central, the ping pong table and the foosball table, and the DVD library.  So unless Mom feels like stopping whatever she's doing to walk him down there...he's SOL.  Try THAT on for size you little snot!!!

Ugh.  It's going to be a looooooooooooooooong day.  Detoxing is not a pretty sight.  Pray for me!

No comments: