Tuesday, August 7, 2012

ADHD, CAPD, and the ABC'c of parenting

Well, here we are on the 7th day of August and it has been a whirlwind of revelations!!!
For ease of organization and my own sanity I'm going to start with today's devotion, and proceed alphabetically!
This is from the book "Courage for my Daily Walk"  I am often asked "how do I 'do' 'it'?  I am often referred to as 'supermom'.  The answer is simple (to me anyway) and I hope to share it with others in this way:  What I do is what any good mom who loves her child would do: seek answers, relentlessly; be courageous; and seek the Lord for shelter and wisdom.  Stay the course - never give up and never give in.  Know the odds, and charge onward anyway.  Take the time to grieve the things that will never be, and embrace the joy of every small moment in every day.
Today's Courage is Courage for the Storms of Life
Matthew 14:27 - Immediately Jesus spoke to them - "Have courage!  It is I.  Do not be afraid."
A storm rose quickly on the Sea of Galilee, and the disciples were afraid.  Although they had seen Jesus perform many miracles, the disciples feared for their lives, so they turned to their Savior, and He calmed the waters and the wind.
Sometimes we, like the disciples, feel threatened by the inevitable storms of life.  In my case, I often feel overwhelmed and completely helpless... lost.  It is then, in those times, that we need to remember to turn to Christ for courage and for comfort.
The books Prayer for today:
Dear Lord, sometimes I face disappointments and challenges that leave me worried and afraid.  Keep me mindful, Lord, that You are my God.  With You by my side Lord, I have nothing to fear.  Help me to be Your grateful and courageous servant this day and every day.  Amen.

Alphabetically - here we go, strap yourselves in:

ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
We were referred to a fabulous Psychiatrist by the name of Barika Butler; after our initial interview she sent me home with homework - for all of us. My greatest fear was that Noah was going to be diagnosed with Bipolar.  At our follow up visit, to my great relief, all indicators point to ADHD. Praise God! 

 Here's what I know:  I am SO THANKFUL to have this dx and not Bipolar!!  Why?  The classification of medications to help manage it.  With Noah's heart, he can't take stimulants, among many other drugs. 
- This dx sure explains a LOT of the challenges we've been tackling for the last 2 to 3 years. And in itself offers validation and a certain sense of relief in my parenting abilities.
- It's a fairly 'mainstreamed' diagnosis, to most people it's a fairly common thing, and not a huge deal.  CAVEAT:  In Noah, it is a co-morbid dx, not his primary, secondary, or even tertiary concern; essentially it just makes a complex situation even more complex.
THE SILVER LINING: Education and Medical professionals have a significant number of treatment and coping mechanisms to pull from their arsenal!!!
Click to learn more about ADHD

Medications we (Team Noah) are considering: Kapvay, Straterra, Intuniv, and possibly Abilify if aggression worsens.

Progressing through the alphabet brings us next to...
CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder
This is something that our speech therapist brought up way back when Noah was only 3...but he was so young, and mostly non-verbal yet, that properly diagnosing him one way or another just wasn't a responsible thing to do.  For a good overview of what CAPD is and isn't you can visit the American Speech Language Hearing Association or HERE .

In a nutshell - there is a lapse, or disconnect in Noah's brain between the time he hears something and the time his brain is able to de-code, or make sense of what he has heard.   I've only had about 16 hours to process this, however we go back for further 'confirmation' testing next week.  Stay tuned for what I'm able to find - I'm happy to share!  Knowledge and understanding always helps break down barriers!

The final revelation I am sharing today is a very personal one.  Not to worry, I have beat myself up for not knowing better, for not being as diligent as I should have been; for not holding myself accountable to my own standards.  I've forgiven myself, for I am not perfect!
2 Christmases ago Noah received the gift of a Diary of Wimpy Kid book, from a family member.  He loved it, and quickly got the rest of the series.  I DID NOT PRE-READ THESE BOOKS!!!  And I am kicking myself for it now.

While on a family vacation last March, we saw the Roderick Rules Movie - and while entertaining, I was very concerned at the obvious character flaws the main character displayed, as well as the family dynamics and relationships.  I did not make any changes in my son's reading material.
After returning home we rented the first Wimpy Kid movie... and I was appalled, it was awful.  Noah really enjoyed it, though he liked Roderick Rules better.  Still - no changes did I make.  Noah continued to read this series over and over.
Friday evening we went to see the recently released Dog Days Wimpy Kid movie.  Now, before I go any further, I should remind you that Noah is cognitively impaired, learning delayed - and VERY literal.  Abstract is something he really struggles in understanding.  That said - we went as a family to see Dog Days, a special activity since Daddy is currently working out of state - and he of course loved the movie.
For me - the aftermath was an epiphany.  The last 2 years of lying, sneaking, being disrespectful and disobedient; the last year and a half of seeing a behavior therapist for things I couldn't explain within our beliefs and upbringing - it came to me in one silent detonation: Noah was emulating Greg Heffley, the main character of his beloved Wimpy Kid books.  Not all the time, not in every sense possible - but the proof was undeniable.  What's worse - it had been right there in front of me the whole time.  (Insert head whack)

So - family meeting - Diary of a Wimpy Kid has been banned from our library.  Now on a mission to find some adventure books with good character.  Here's what I am evaluating - feel free to weigh in on what YOU think!:

The Harry Potter Series - I have read these and while there is some rule breaking, it is done in the interest of doing the right thing, helping a friend in need, overcoming evil.
The Percy Jackson Series - I have also read these, and they display great character traits!
Hank the Cowdog
Farm Mystery Series
Chronicles of Narnia
The American Adventure Series
The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black
A Daring Adventure by Doyle
Cooper Kids Adventure by Peretti
Guardians of Childhood by Joyce
Boys of Grit by Wallace
Kingdoms by Zondervan
Bark of the Bay Owl by Rogers

So that's a lot for 4 days.  Now, I'm going to take a breath and have some chocolate. 

No comments: